Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dreams

When I was a girl, I think I had dreams of becoming a dancer or an Olympic gymnast - not very realistic considering I lacked the talent to excel at these pursuits. I also remember wanting to be a marine biologist. I loved the ocean, I was pretty good at science, and I was more than an average swimmer with all the time I spent in the pool. Despite being landlocked, this might have been a more attainable dream for me. What happened? How did I ever become a prospect researcher?

I like my job. It's interesting, but not as interesting as Jake makes it sound when he tells people I'm a spy. I'm contributing to the University by finding alumni who can make significant gifts. I help people make connections with prospects by providing profiles and wealth estimates. I believe in the importance of higher education and the amazing research going on at this institution. But really, is this what I'm going to do until I retire? I don't know, but part of me hopes not. I don't have any other professional dreams or aspirations at the moment. I didn't have a plan when I got my degree in human development and family studies. I sort of fell into fundraising, our "family profession," when I started working at the Alumni Association while I was still in college. Then I moved to Development, and eleven years later, I'm still here.

Kennedy, however, has other plans for me. I'm so thankful that she has such a clear vision for her future. What's even better is that it involves me. She's the kind of kid I can easily see knowing, from the time she's three, exactly what she wants to do with her life. And I have no doubt that she will work hard to get there.

She and I are going to have a restaurant together. That's her dream. Ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, and she'll say, "a restauranter." Technically a restaurateur, but I don't think she knows that word yet. Every penny in her piggy bank is for our restaurant (with a little set aside for Disneyland.) She wants to be a chef...and a mom with four kids, two girls and two boys. I think the first idea came from playing in her little kitchen, helping me with cooking and baking projects and watching the movies Ratatouille and Princess and the Frog. I'm not sure about her inspiration for the family part.

I'm going to do everything I can to encourage and support her dreams and passions, and of course, Macy's, too. I don't have the slightest idea how to run a restaurant, but having a family business sounds like a dream worth chasing.

(Someday soon I'll get around to posting about New Year's, Jake's birthday and gymnastics...please stay tuned and be patient.)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Mimi used to tell Ken that he should open a restaurant. He would laugh. Maybe she'd be happy if Ken could be the greeter or Kennedy's assistant chef. By the time this all happens, I don't think Ken will be up to full time cooking. I think I'd like to do the flowers for the tables and fill the salt shakers. We all can dream.