Monday, October 10, 2011

Another recap post

Monday 10/3 -
Macy enjoyed working on puzzles and walking on the balance beam outside today.

Kennedy learned about vertebrates and invertebrates in dance studio today. She said that they got to dance like frogs, which are vertebrates. Most of our dinner conversation tonight was taken over by a game of "vertebrate or invertebrate" - we were only stumped once...by a shark, which I had to look up to see what it is (it's a vertebrate.)

Tuesday 10/4 -
Macy was a very happy girl today. She enjoyed looking at books and working on the stacking job.

After the girls and I got home, Jake announced that he had decided he was going to buy them bunkbeds on Saturday. Why? because he thought this would solve the problem of resistance at bedtime and getting out of bed in the middle of the night. I wasn't pleased that he would make such a major financial decision without me, and besides I thought it was a little extreme.

Wednesday 10/5 -
Macy had a lovely day. She figured out how to paint and not just water!

After school, I took the girls to the toy store to get a new princess alarm clock. This was my (less expensive and more practical) solution to the bedtime challenge. Of course they always love an adventure to Toys'R'Us ("the princess toy store" as Macy calls it because she is always amazed by the mass quantities of Disney princess stuff - especially her favorite, a princess piano.) We got the clock and a new umbrella for Kennedy, which she immediately put to use in the pouring rain - and then somehow broke by the time we got home (argh!) After ballet we had a quick dinner, the girls took a bath, and then the clock got to work its princess magic.

Macy, who normally gets out of bed several times right after we tuck her in because she says she "can't see" (in the dark when her eyes are supposed to be closed), was excited to turn out the lights so that she could see the castle glow and change colors. They also loved being able to push the buttons to make Cinderella dance with the prince and hear two short stories.

Although Macy still got out of bed in the middle of the night for her usual "snuddle," the clock did the trick! I was also better about getting up and taking Mace right back to her own bed. I know part of the bedtime problem is my fault. If I can scoot over and make room in our bed, that's usually preferable to getting up in the middle of the night.

Thursday 10/6 -
Macy worked on the ball job and water jobs, she also played in the gym. She had a great day.
(I heard that Macy thought she needed to take off her socks in the gym because that was the rule at The Little Gym. So far she's lost two barrettes and a pair of purple socks - the first of many things we'll have to remember to search for in the school's lost and found.)

Friday 10/7 -
No school today. The girls spent the morning with Grammie and Pamp making crockpot pear and ginger applesauce. Macy wanted to play the iPad after I finished work. She loves Plants vs. Zombies. Pretty soon Pamp, Kennedy and I heard Macy singing a little song (to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell): "The sombies ate my brain, the sombies ate my brain, hi-ho the cherry-oh, the sombies ate my brain!"

Kennedy had ballet class - she's really improving quickly with her twice a week schedule. I love the class on Friday because it's so much smaller. It was only Kennedy and one other girl this week. Macy and I had a nice time coloring princess pictures in the lobby. She got excited, tilted her head, and said, "Mom, I hear something!" every time she recognized the music coming from the dance studio.

When we got home we did some cleaning and then were walking out the door to go get sushi when I got a call from my parents. Their basement had flooded and they needed some help. We spent the night pulling out soaking carpet and pad from their rumpus room. Luckily the girls were occupied by a Curious George movie on the iPad and then some tasty pasta that Pamp threw together.

Saturday 10/8 -
We watched the Utes on TV lose to Arizona State University. Everyone was hoping for their first PAC-12 Conference win, but we'll have to keep waiting. Kennedy drew this picture all by herself, and the girls love to put on those big, red foam fingers and cheer for the team.
Kennedy, Macy, and I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with our favorite recipe - the best cookies ever! I have to stop doing this because both Jake and I lack any type of self control when it comes to this treat. The girls also love to eat the dough, probably more than the finished product.

Sunday 10/9 -
We went to the zoo because it was finally a sunny day. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it wasn't crowded and we could let Kennedy and Macy run around as they pleased. I was sure that they would crash when we got home, but no luck. We pulled out some Halloween decorations and made a few paper crafts. I escaped for a few minutes of peace and quiet - if shopping at Target really counts for peace and quiet. When I got home, I was greeted by two crazy girls jumping on the couch waving to me from the front window. What a sight! We finished off the week with dinner at my parents'. They had made a recipe from the morning paper, something called Sputnik Chicken that I'd like to try again. Maybe later I'll do a post with the three recipes from this week - it can be the start of recipes I want to pass on to my girls someday.

No comments: