Saturday, May 26, 2012

Spring break and Easter weekend


The girls were out of school last week, which worked out perfectly with our trip to Oregon and with Grandma Sue's return from Las Vegas. I don't know who was the most excited - Grandma Sue or Kennedy and Macy - when they got to spend Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday together. I understand there was lots of play time with the baby dolls, making peanut butter pine cone bird feeders, playing mailman, and no naps!

Friday night we took some things to the DI to give away - the crib, changing table, bouncer seat, jumper, boppy, crib bumper and skirt, bottles, drying rack... It's just stuff, but I was sad to see it go. Even Macy wondered why dad was giving away her baby things. No more babies. I don't know why that thought brings tears to my eyes, when just before dropping it all off I'd been crying in frustration from dealing with Macy. Maybe part of me will always wonder if we should have had one more, but certainly not the practical part!

Saturday Kennedy and I took Macy to ballet to make up for the class she missed while we were on vacation (Kennedy did a back-to-back class before we left, which she said was just too much dancing). We dropped her off and walked around the corner to the candy store and toy store to pick out a few treats for Easter and a special surprise for Kennedy for cleaning her room all by herself, an outfit for Pink Baby. While I'm on the subject of Pink Baby, I have been instructed to never, ever give her away and never, ever throw her away because she is very, very special to Kennedy. The Easter Bunny won't be coming to our house this year - just mom, which is fine with me.

We didn't do anything fancy with our eggs this year, but the girls probably had more fun using the extra dye to make colorful designs on paper towels with medicine droppers!






Sunday morning Kennedy hid some eggs in her room for us to find, then the girls came downstairs to search for their baskets. The tiny cats and dogs for the dollhouse seemed to be a big hit!


We went to brunch with my family at the Cottonwood Club, and I must say that Kennedy and Macy were by far the cutest kids there. Lots of people commented on their hats. I had been joking (kind of) about getting them Easter bonnets because I remember being jealous of the other girls in their fancy, frilly dresses when I was a kid at the Country Club's Easter buffet.


Well, when we saw those hats at Babies R Us (and a few other things we really don't need, like the glamourous sunglasses), I just had to get them! That meant a last minute change in Kennedy's dress, but with all of Eliza's cute hand-me-downs, we have plenty to choose from.




Our food was delicious, and it was hard to not have a little bit of everything! At noon, we headed out to the golf course to line the girls up for the egg hunt. They both seemed really excited to get out there and collect eggs...until the whistle blew. Macy started first with the kids under four, but had to back-track when her hat blew off. After that she wasn't as interested in heading up the hill. Kennedy took about five steps and then burst into tears and ran over to me sobbing, "I don't want to do it, Mama!" So we just walked to catch up to Macy and Jake, but one of the organizers pointed out a nice, untouched bunch of eggs in a pocket of trees. With a little help, Kennedy was happy to pick a few up, and somehow ended up with a basket full while Macy got none. Macy was pleased to find the Halloween-themed erasers all over the grass and put some bats, spiders, and pumpkins in her bucket (must have been left-over from another club party). Both girls ended up with plenty of candy and goodies because Grammie and Pamp also brought them some Easter treats!





We had dinner with the Nelsons at Beth's and another egg hunt for the kids. Macy was especially interested in the money she found in her eggs. Not that she has anything she wants to spend it on...she just likes to walk around with quarters between her toes! 

No comments: