Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book Love

Macy was so happy yesterday to find that Kennedy and I had picked up a huge stack of books about cats while she was at dance. We had to stop and get some cat food after her class, but she refused to come in the store with us. She insisted on waiting in the car so that she could read through them all. Since the shop is in a tiny strip mall and it wasn't too hot outside, I had no problem with this. One of Macy's favorite cat books is "Mrs. Crump's Cat" by Linda Smith. One other recent library book (suprisingly not about cats) that I had to read over and over was "I Had a Favorite Dress" by Boni Ashburn; I think Julia Denos might be my favorite children's book illustrator.

Books make Kennedy happy, too. We just finished "Babe: The Gallant Pig" by Dick King-Smith, which she loved and I can't wait to watch the movie with her. It's always been one of my favorites! Next we started on "The Racketty-Packetty House" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I didn't realize that it's over 100 years old, but she loves it and says that my old dollhouse is just like the racketty-packetty one in the book. Kennedy has big plans to work on fixing it up this summer. She already has a project list in her mind: paint, carpet, wallpaper, repair and install the stairs, fix the broken furniture, glue the porch railings back on, maybe lighting...we'll see. For now the dollhouse gets lots of play, just the way it is. We had to take book eight from the Sisters Grimm series back before we could get through it, but that will be on our list again soon. Part of the storyline takes place in Oz, which is a nice tie-in to the dance concert and the old Wizard of Oz VHS I found at my parents' house, which we also will have to get to.

I found an adorable book at the library with embroidery patterns for dogs and cats. I think I may have to try to make something for Andrew and Toshiko's baby who will be born next month. We can't wait to meet her! If it works out, I imagine I'll be ordering the book on Amazon and will have to make something for Kennedy and Macy, too. I'm going to sign up for a sewing class. The idea was somewhat inspired by the "I Had a Favorite Dress Book" but it's also something I've wanted to learn for a while. The few lessons I had in my junior high home economics class did not stick at all. Then I can start checking out books on sewing patterns.

In my book group, we read "The Man Who Loves Books Too Much" by Allison Hoover Bartlett. I don't think I will ever be drawn to collecting rare books like the guy in the story, but I do love books. Novels, non-fiction, and short stories I enjoy in the moment, but tend to forget much too quickly. I have way too many cookbooks, but looking through them makes me happy. In fact, I love books that make me feel like I have untapped talents (and who knows, maybe I do) waiting to emerge if only I had more time and energy to pursue them. I can spend hours flipping through books (with pictures!) on home improvement, gardening, decorating, fashion, sewing, stitching, cleaning and organizing, etc. It's my low-tech version of Pinterest. I'm not looking forward to the day when the girls don't want me to read with them anymore. Cuddling together in their bed and reading bedtimes stories is one of the best parts of my day! Even if I'm tired or cranky, it's so easy to get lost in the magic of the stories, especially seeing it through the eyes of my children - even when they constantly interrupt, argue over who is sleeping where or with which stuffed animal, or demand the same book over and over and over.    

No comments: