Saturday, December 31, 2011

Strange things are happening

Kennedy told me that she wanted to make a special day for me, but that I had to stay in bed. Jake had already left for work, and I could hear the girls downstairs in the kitchen playing "guess the villain I'm thinking of." Kennedy had already gotten dressed by herself and made her bed. Next thing I know, she's serving me breakfast in bed! She fixed a bowl of Cheerios for herself and Macy, and then brought one up to me. Apparently she used a chair to climb onto the counter in order to reach the bowls and cereal. She even managed to pour the milk without spilling. My only complaint, if I'm being picky - mine was a bit soggy. All three bowls must have been poured at the same time, but mine sat out while the girls ate. At least it was a small bowl. Kennedy is so thoughtful and loves to do nice thing for others. I couldn't be more proud of her.
 
Just now she said to me, "Mama, I don't want you to wake up until I say for you to. Just like we did the other day, okay?" Looks like I'm in store for some special treatment for the new year.

The weather on Friday was so nice. Temperatures were in the 50s! It felt more like spring than the end of December. Our neighbors were outside trying to fly a kite. We saw golfers out playing in shorts! It was nice to have the day off for the holiday. We did some things around the house and went to Whole Foods where I bought crab legs of all things! I'm not sure why I let the fish counter guy talk me into that!

Some very slow progress is being made on our new house. Jake and I took out all the sub-floor in the bathroom (which felt like progress in the wrong direction), but with some help from Ben and Brent, it has been replaced, along with the pieces cut out of the kitchen wall and floor. I also did some serious paint scraping to reveal a beautiful swan patterned wallpaper in the bathroom. Today I had the important job of getting sandpaper, plumbing parts (which come to find out Home Depot does not carry), and a bucket of chicken. Luckily, I made it back from my errands in time to hear the end of the Utes bowl game...they won in overtime!

Macy was not nice tonight. I know she didn't have a nap, but that is not an excuse for the beating she gave Kennedy. In the tub, Macy was upset about not getting the washcloth she wanted, and started hitting Kennedy with a toy torpedo. I pulled her out, sat her on the potty to cool down, but then gave her a second chance - with the warning that if she hit again she would be going straight to bed. Well, something else set her off and she started hitting again. Macy was not happy with me, but I followed through (something they talked a lot about at a positive discipline presentation at her school.) I don't know how to put a stop to this behavior. She is like Jekyll and Hyde lately.

No comments: