Last night when I put dinner on the table, Macy got an excited smile on her face and said, "Mom, this looks like it won't taste horrible to me!" Thanks, sweetie. I know what she was talking about, though. It was a very kid looking meal - cubes of roast chicken, mandarin oranges, ants on a log, roasted broccoli, a cinnamon-sugar pretzel cracker thing - on one of those plates with all the different compartments. She was very happy with all of the choices and ate really well, something that doesn't usually happen at dinner. She was also happy to help me make, and eat, a microwave mock-pumpkin pie.
Macy's comment was also in reference to the dinner I fixed the night before: (which I must defend because it was delicious) 50/50 grass-fed beef & bison hamburger on a bed of spinach with oven baked Cajun sweet potato fries (OK, they were really spicy), and I even made fry sauce with homemade mayo! Why did we have homemade mayo? Because I made it the day before when I was fixing crab cakes with mustard sauce, and yeah the girls didn't like that one either.
Kennedy asked me in the car on the way home from school on Thursday, "Mom, have you ever been to McDonald's?" I told her yes, but it's not very good. As far as I know, she's never been. I think Grandma Sue has taken her to Wendy's and we sometimes go to Olympus Burger, Woody's, or Greek City Grill, but I'd prefer that the girls get an appreciation for home cooked meals with lots of variety, plenty of good nutrition, and a little experimentation thrown in to keep things fun. I don't remember ever cooking with my parents, so this is something I'm excited to share with my girls. Hopefully with time, they will be just as excited to eat as they are to help out in the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment