Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Playing in the dirt

Saturday I did the Kiss Me Dirty mud run/obstacle course race with some friends from work. We were supposed to dress up like Rosie the Riveter to go with our team name, the Grubby Girls. A trip to Goodwill netted some lovely pieces that I didn't feel bad about getting all dirty, and all for under $5.


We started in the first wave, and Janine and Jen were ready to walk before we hit the first obstacle; Janine's speedy step-daughters had already taken off, so I kept going at my own pace. After running about four miles around the equestrian park, through tires, under cargo nets, over walls, through pipes, over a big climbing net, through a couple of mud pits, and then running through the bubbles at the end, my shoes were really the only things covered in mud.






I loved having Jake and the girls along the course to cheer for me!

Jake's been doing a lot of yard work lately. He built a huge new garden in back to expand our vegetable patch. This year we only planted carrots, beans, and peppers, and only the carrots have been worth eating. I'm hoping we can get some greens started now to have a fall harvest, but next summer we should have a much bigger selection. Yesterday we had two big bags of dirt delivered to fill it all in. Jake suggested that we bury something in the garden and draw a treasure map for Kennedy and Macy to follow. They love to play pirates and digging for buried treasure would be a most exciting adventure for them!


Since we decided not to sleep over at the camp out this year, we borrowed Grandpa Brent's tent and spent the last three nights camping in our own backyard. The girls loved it! Jake and I enjoyed it more after we borrowed some pads from my parents. We also got a new fire pit and made s'mores to add authenticity to the whole experience. Kennedy and Macy loved being able to stay up extra late so they could try to tell the stars from the planets and listen to the crickets.




No comments: